GM Manifesto and CharGen Guidelines [updated 8-21-17]
Rules of the Game
1. Life comes first. I completely understand that not everyone, including myself, will be able to attend every game due to various reasons. All I ask is that you notify me as soon as possible. If more than half of the team is going to be out, then the game may be cancelled depending on where and what we are doing. I will do the same and notify everyone as soon as I can if I will not be able to be in.
2. Its just a game. I put alot into this rule. Cheating will not be tolerated, if you have to cheat at a roleplaying game, then this game is not for you. If you are caught cheating, then you will be asked to leave the game. Please no OOC personal attacks against other players or the GM. We are all adults and if there is an inter-player conflict, then that will need to be resolved outside of the game.
3. No PVP Fighting, with a few caveats. At times, characters with differing goals/motivations will come into conflict with each other. In fact, this WILL HAPPEN. If there is a conflict between the characters that results in violence, then all parties and the GM need to agree to allow it. What we don’t want to see is a player that just has their character randomly attacking other characters just because “its what his character would do”.
4. GM Trumps All. I say this because I don’t want to have a game fall into a rules argument. I am human and will be bound to make a mistake or two along the way. However, when I make a ruling in game, then that is how it will be. If there is a disagreement with a ruling, then please discuss it with me after the game. A retconn correction may be made if necessary and/or a house rule created. Since we have multiple GMs on this game, the acting GM has final say in all matters.
5. Bad Things WILL Happen I will do things that will not be nice to your characters. I am going to use things that they have done in the past and things that are done in the present against them. They will be put in situations where they will have to make a choice and that choice will have consequences. I will use and abuse your contacts and those deemed as family in your backstories. Please don’t take this personally if/when it happens to your characters, its all apart of the game. The setting is very dangerous and dark and bad things happen to people. But also know that I will NEVER set out to intentionally kill your character.
6. Adult Subject Matter There has been some subject matter that has arisen in the game that are adult oriented and NSFW. This content has been designated to separate Discord channels. If you do not want to view or read this content then please let me know privately and I will block it for you.
Character Creation Guidelines
1. No attribute can be a value of 1. The reason for this is defaulting on a skill is the attribute minus 1. In this case, it would result in no dice being rolled.
2. There are a few qualities that are not allowed or require additional information. These are marked as Banned or Additional information needed. The additional information is generally required in the characters backstory. The GM still has final say on whether a Quality is accepted or not.
- Better to be Feared than Loved (Chrome Flesh) Need to know what contacts are blackmailed and what information you have on them
- Biocompatibility (Chrome Flesh). Can only be taken at Chargen
- Born Rich (Run Faster). Banned
- Erased (Run Faster). Banned
- Friends in High Places (Run Faster). With GM Permission
- Made Man (Run Faster). With GM Permission
- Otaku to Technomancer (Data Trails). Can only be taken at Chargen. Must also have a datajack AND be atleast 30 years old.
- Privileged Family Name (Run Faster). Need additional information in backstory.
- Prototype Transhuman (Chrome Flesh). Can only be taken at Chargen. Chosen bioware CANNOT be of “used” quality and cannot be removed or upgraded by implant grade or rating.
- Restricted Gear (Run Faster). With GM Permission
- Revels in Murder (Chrome Flesh). With GM Permission
- Trust Fund (Run Faster). With GM Permission
- Addiction — Please see special house rule on addiction
- Albinism This is not compatible with Distinctive Style (Albino)
- Amnesia (8 Karma level) (Run Faster). Banned
- Big Regret (Run Faster). Need additional information in backstory
- Bi-polar (Run Faster). Banned
- Borrowed Time (Run Faster). Banned
- Code of Honor Certain codes are subject to denial. A detailed backstory element will be required.
- Code of Honor — Sadistic (Chrome Flesh). Banned
- Consummate Professional (Assassin’s Primer). Banned
- Day Job (Run Faster). GM Approval required. Will need to have a set scheduled time for the day job and description of job.
- Dead Emotion (Chrome Flesh). Banned
- Earther (Run & Gun). Banned
- Emotional Attachment (Run Faster). With GM Permission
- Faceless (Hard Targets). Banned
- Impassive (Hard Targets). Banned
- In Debt (Run Faster). Need to know who you are indebt to and a payment schedule set up. Payments will be made at the same time and in addition to Lifestyles. Failure to make payments on time will result in bad things happening. This can only be bought off once the debt is paid in full
- Leeroy Jenkins (Data Trails). With GM Permission
- One of Them (Chrome Flesh). Banned
- Pacifist (15 Karma level) (Run Faster). Banned
- Poor Self Control: Sadistic (Chrome Flesh). Banned
- Pregnant (Bullets & Bandages). Banned
- Records on File (Run Faster) Need additional information in backstory
- Reduced Sense (Run Faster) below the 5 Karma level. Banned
- Restricted Gear (Run Faster) GM Approval needed – must have a detailed “in-character” reason and story behind the item.
- Superhuman Psychosis (Chrome Flesh). With GM Permission
3. Characters are created using Standard Play Rules and using Sum to Ten Priorities.
4. A backstory will need to be created and sent to me. The better the backstory, the more bonus karma you can get for it and the more fun we have.
5. Metasapients and SURGE characters are not allowed at creation.
6. Blood, Toxic, Insect and Possession magic/traditions are not allowed
7. Characters will need to be created with HeroLab or Chummer and the files, or PDFs, need to sent to me for approval (at character creation) and for upkeep as the character progresses in their career.
8. Contacts can only have a maximum of 7 points total spent on loyalty and connection at creation.
9. Some spells, such as Turn to Goo, are also banned. I will not be listing whether or not a spell is banned, but GM does have final say on whether a spell can be used.
If you are unsure on if something is acceptable or not, please ask the GM. These rules are subject to change with time, experience and new material/errata.